We are seeking a Senior level Software Development Director with 5+ years of experience in managing large-scale organizations with multiple layers of management for an established engineering related software client in Edinburgh.
Our client is fairly flexible with regards to location although candidates that have the ability to commute to the city would be preferred.
The role we are hiring for is a technical leadership position. You will be tasked with working closely with the Directors & Product Owners to understand, assess & execute product strategy associated development delivery plans & roadmaps to ensure products are delivered to meet active and future operational requirements.
Reporting to the VP Development & Delivery, the Senior Development Director will lead one or more software development teams, with Development Directors/Project Managers responsible for specific areas and associated teams reporting to them.
The role will cover all aspects in directing a team of software developers in enhancing and developing established and new products including:
- Working with the Business Directors & Senior Management Teams
- Software Development Leadership & Management
- People Management
Skills & Experience required:
- Substantial experience in a Director Level Software Engineering leadership role.
- Experience of managing and leading multiple software development teams/projects.
- A Software Engineering or Computer Science background.
- Understanding of Distributed systems
- Able to understand architect broad systems interactions
- Experience of a fast-paced development environment. Ability to working alongside various teams with different styles, demands & needs to make decisions.
- A keen eye for detail. Identifying improvement areas, create and agree plans, and implements systems.
- Evidence of leading a team to achieve business objectives. Establishing priorities, and inspiring teams to success.
- Coaching individuals & teams to grow & perform. Setting clear targets that enable individuals to move into more senior roles.
- A strong decision maker and negotiator, who can prioritise multiple teams’ workloads, while ensuring quality, and cost objectives are met.
Software Development Leadership & Management
- Development and technology relevance
- Maintaining a knowledge of industry technology trends to build an ever-evolving strategy for the development team.
- Lead the software team/s to achieve the business objectives.
- Portfolio Management & product development / management issues.
- Working closely with Product Owners to identify & schedule development priorities & resource requirements.
- Work closely with Product Development Directors & Project Managers.
- Ensuring the delivery of project to internal & external customer requirements.
- Working in an Agile environment: creating and collaborating effective implementation strategies.
- Assessing and improving development processes and practices, ensuring consistency across all development projects.
- Working closely with Product Owners in providing technical support at onsite/offsite client meetings or exhibitions as well as supporting general marketing activities.
This role pays an excellent package including a substantial basic, annual bonus target (usually based on 20% of salary) , annual car allowance of £6,660, private medical care, 33 days holiday, life assurance, income protection insurance, and a 37.5 hour working week with flexi-time.
The role would need to be completed on a remote basis at first but we would expect a return to the office (for at least part of the week) once restrictions allow
Check out my latest article: SUPERB OPPORTUNITY! Senior Software Director – Edinburgh. £blue-chip salary & benefits package. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/senior-software-director-edinburgh-superb-blue-chip-derek-mcculloch