Linux/ UNIX Networking Field Support Engineer – Offshore
The position would suit skilled individuals with good IT (UNIX / Linux networking), Data-communications or Electrical Engineering skills.
You will work alongside our clients’ customers and be responsible for installing, supporting, and operating a range of marine IT, navigation, and data processing products for ocean exploration.
On offer is an ideal opportunity for extensive worldwide travel and an excellent remuneration package that includes a basic salary PLUS a daily out off office field rate with the potential for offshore tax benefits.
Our client is looking for independent, fast-learning and self-motivated candidates with strong backgrounds in the above industry/skill areas listed.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
Working in a mix of office-based and offshore activities, the successful Engineers will be responsible for the set-up/installation, commissioning. testing and support of complex computer systems and related hardware onboard marine vessels in worldwide locations. Work will involve extended and variable periods away from home and also office-based duties including technical support, training, and testing.
A Degree or equivalent working experience in a technical or numerate discipline such as engineering, mathematics, physics, computer science.
- Prior experience in a field service engineer role
- Good degree or equivalent in a technical/numerate discipline
- Practical Linux (command line) and networking experience
- Experience of GPS, data radio systems, surveying and/or navigation
- Work experience in a customer facing role
- Essential: UNIX / Linux, Networking, Data Communications, Basic Electrical Engineering.
- Desirable: Programming or Scripting experience (e.g. XML, SQL), GPS, Data Radio Systems, Surveying, Navigation or positioning skills.
Personal Skills/Values/ Attributes:
- Flexible, team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated, analytical and thorough.
- Ability to work well under pressure within a demanding operational environment.
- Able to cope with extended and variable periods away from home.
Salary & Benefits:
- On offer is a very attractive salary and benefits package. Our client will offer a competitive starting salary up to £35k plus a daily allowance of £180 per day when offshore so the rewards are there.
- On top of the salary benefits, our client offers a superb pension scheme and flexible working with additional holiday days being accrued during times offshore.
This is an excellent opportunity to work with one of the UK’s best companies. Please feel free to call us should you want to discuss things prior to submitting your CV.